Lagavulin “House of Lannister” 9-Year-Old "Game of Thrones"

Lagavulin “House of Lannister” 9-Year-Old
from the Game of Thrones Diageo Series
Price: 260 Shekels


Here, let me come out straight away and say that this “House of Lannister” 9-Year-Old is without doubt, the most delicious Lagavulin (notice I did not use the common nickname of “Lag” as there is now a distillery on the isle of Arran called “Lagg”), that I have tasted in a long-long time.


Despite it being a superb single malt, I was hesitant to purchase it and then to review it, as it is part of a Diageo series “celebrating” the popular series “Game of Thrones”, which despite having never seen it, I am reliably informed was one of the most disgustingly immoral and gratuitously morbid viewing ever seen on the “Tellee”, and not surprisingly, immensely popular.


However, Baruch Hashem, the artwork on the canister was benign enough and so I decided that this series or collection of themed single malts was probably similar to the case of the Chareidi Sukkah decorations. That is, despite Jews in the UK, Europe and North America recognising Sukkah decorations in Chareidi neighbourhoods as obviously made for the Chrstian festival which falls on the 25th December, because the inhabitants of Geula and Bnai Brak have absolutely no idea what their original manufacturing purpose was, they are allowed to buy them and decorate their Sukkah with them every year. Some of the boxes even say on the side of the box "Xmas Decorations"!

One can only wonder what Orthodox tourists from Chutz LaAretz think when they walk through Meah Sha’arim during Chol HaMoed Sukkos to see Sukkos looking like “Nativity” scenes.

The Game of Thrones collection is made up of eight Single Malts and, so the marketing shpill goes, representing the eight “houses” or tribes of nations, featured in the TV series.

“House Stark”                      Dalwhinnie Winter’s Frost

“House Tully”                      Singleton of Glendullan Select

“House Targaryen”             Cardhu Gold Reserve

“House Lannister”              Lagavulin 9-Year-Old

“The Night’s Watch”           Oban Bay Reserve

“House Greyjoy”                 Talisker Select Reserve

“House Baratheon”             Royal Lochnagar 12-Year-Old

“House Tyrell”                     Clynelish Reserve

Remarkably, out of these eight, as many as five of them, namely the Clynelish, Dalwhinnie, Glendullan, Lagavulin and Talisker went on my “No Stam Yeinam” - “Kosher” Whisky list, as the other three have some Ex-Sherry cask maturation influence in them.


Here in Israel, this series was almost exclusively sold as a set of eight bottles to collectors and the stores were unwilling to split them up. However, luckily for me, I did manage to find two places where they did have a few of them for sale as individual bottles.

Out of these five, the only two which really tickled my fancy, were the Lagavulin and the Clynelish Cask Strength, (which, at the time of this writing, I actually have not as yet opened).

Packaging and Styling

I have no idea how close in styling of the "Game of Thrones" series is to the TV series but I really like its bold use of majestic symbols which reminds me of Knight's Coats of Arms found in castles all over Britain. The bottle shape is standard Diageo.



Lagavulin 9-Year-Old Game of Thrones. Bottled at 46% abv

It has a lovely oily appearance, although there are definite signs of E150a Caramel colouring, as, being exclusively matured in Ex-Bourbon casks, the colour should be a pale yellow straw colour. Instead we get a suspicious looking toffee confectionery colour.


Aroma Notes


Perfume garden flowers.

Seaside brininess which reminds me less of Lagavulin 12 and much more of Clynelish.

Sweet variety of barbequed tropical fruits.

Loads of milky creamy white fudge.

Honey

Vanilla

Wood Spices, walnuts.

Tasting Notes

In the mouth, it is slightly waxy which again reminds me of a sweet Clynelish style, rather than Lagavulin 12, which is dryer and oily. (I’d be interested in comparing this with the actual Clynelish which is part of the same set).


From the moment you put this to your lips and the liquid is sitting in your mouth, you notice an unusual (for Whisky), intensely rich sweetness. It seems tantalizingly familiar to me, yet it’s sweetness classification alludes me. The producers (as quoted by Internet Store “Master of Malt”), describes it as Marshmallows roasting over a bonfire. That certainly does concur with my vague description of it being sweet but not caramel, neither is it pop-corn sweetness of Bourbons or any fruit I could describe. It is a kind of sugary / perfume-y / grainy creamy cereal sweetness but more than that, I cannot say.  It definitely reminds me of something very familiar, perhaps from my childhood, yet I cannot pinpoint it.

I am left frustrated by my inability to describe this flavour note.

*** UPDATE ***

I am delighted to say that, after sitting with this whisky for an hour, I have finally identified it. That elusive flavour note is none other than Sugar Puffs® Breakfast cereal which I must admit, I have not eaten for over 30 years. That’s what it is!!!!! It is sweetened puffed grain. No doubt about it.

Other flavours are sweet yellow apples, a hint of halva and walnuts, Barbequed roasted banana skins and pineapple, apple strudel pastry, mild kitchen spices. Again, that specific intense sweetness is there on the finish.

It’s a really enjoyable whisky and very different to Lagavulin 8 and 12, which I am more familiar with. It is richer, creamier and more intense than its sister products. It seems less peaty and oily as well.


Conclusions

What a shame that this is a limited edition as in many ways, it shows an exciting new side to Lagavulin which I’d like to see again. A much creamier cereal forward style which I so much enjoyed. Alas, my bottle is almost empty now but….there is always the Clynelish “Game of Thrones” to open.

Comments

  1. How can I know if this whiskey is kosher ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. שבוע טוב. Which whisky are you talking about NJ? This Lagavulin 9 which I have reviewed or some other whisky? You can know that "this" whisky is kosher, that is the Lagavulin 9, because according to my research it was matured in Ex-Bourbon casks with no maturation in casks which previously contained stam yeinum (non kosher wine).

      Delete

Post a Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please enter your comment above this line, and then click on the PUBLISH button (on the far right hand side).