Ben Eideann Fionain Jerusalem Mountains Cabernet Sauvignon Finish

Ben Eideann Fionain Jerusalem Mountains Cabernet Sauvignon Finish


Following up on my article entitled “From Which Distillery Does Ben Èideann Single Malt Come From?”

https://rebmordechaireviews.blogspot.com/2020/02/from-which-distillery-does-ben-eideann.html

I wrote back then that I had only seen the American Oak expression and that, if I ever found any of the Kosher Wine Finish expressions, I’d buy a bottle for review. Well, here is that review.


Before my review however, I’d like to mention an Alcohol Hand Gel I bought in the Central Bus Station here in in Yerushalayim. The first remarkable thing I could mention is that it had no less than five prices stickers on it, one on top of the other. When I peeled them all off, what I found was a historical record of the Corona-19 virus epidemic. Its original price for this 500ml 70% alcohol was 19.99 Shekels. The next price sticker read 30.00 shekels! The next 34.99! The next read 24.99 and the one on top had gone back to 19.99 Shekels.


The second note of interest is its wonderful natural white fruity scent. I tell you, it smells just like the typical fruity Speyside style New Make Spirit. Lovely aroma. Unfortunately, the ingredients do not reveal the type of alcohol but one must assume that it is in fact NOT grain alcohol, because, if you look carefully, down at the bottom, there is a Kosher certification saying that it’s Kasher LePesach!

(Just thought I’d mention that).

 

Ben Eideann

 



As mentioned in my previous article about this Eidas HaChareidis Badatz brand, all the expressions (at least so far), are aimed at the very bottom end of the Single Malt Whisky market. That is, bottled at the very disappointing legal minimum of 40% abv, possibly artificially coloured with E150a caramel colouring, Chill Filtered and pitifully NAS (“No Age Statement”) bottlings, intimating that they contain young whisky of anywhere from 5 to 9 years, I would guess.

 

Additionally (and this I find the most irritating), they are also NDS; that is “No Distillery Statement” (my own made-up term), although I did, I believe, manage to discover the distillery in Scotland where these whiskies are distilled, matured and bottled. (See the link above to read all about my investigation).

 

All this can be forgiven somewhat as their target is obviously not the serious Malt Whisky lover but the Chareidi Kiddush Club drinker, who would be perfectly happy with a standard Scotch Blend. However, seeing a Single Malt, I’m sure he’d make a grab for that first, whatever kind it is.

 

Perhaps the second target audience is the Observant Jew, who is “addicted” to the sweet fruity Sherried Single Malts such as Macallan, Glenfiddich Sherry Cask, the Aberlour 12, etc. These two Wine Finish matured Single Malts from Ben Eideann give this fellow a real Kosher LeMahadrien Badatz choice!

 



Packaging and Artwork

 

The packaging is cheap and flimsy. When I picked up the box, the cardboard was so thin, it crumpled in my hands and I almost dropped the bottle. The artwork is totally non-imaginative, sticking to plain colours and plain text. At least this Fionain expression has a few Jerusalem Lions sprinkled around the box.

 

Appearance in the Glass

 




In the glass it has the colour of a Zinfandel Style Blush wine with a tinge of sandy orange/gold in it. Pale brown-y red, pink-y and orange.

 

It pours like a wine and not like a whisky, with a watery thin appearance.

 


When swirled or even shaken vigorously in the glass, the liquid drops down immediately leaving a few spots of this whisky stuck to the inside of the glass. There are no tears whatsoever, which indicates a distinct lack of alcohol and heavy chill-filtering, due to having had all its malted barley oil removed.

To put it another way; it seems to have had its Malt Whisky kishkes ripped out!

 

I must mention that all these Tasting Notes are of the whisky straight from the bottle without water. (Don’t whatever you do, add water!)

 

Aroma

 

No alcohol heat whatsoever. In fact, little indications of alcohol pungency at all.

Rose petals in water.

Bazooka Bubble-Gum.

Raspberry and Apricot jam

Sweet Fruit Chews (or what the Israeli/Americans call Fruit Toffee soft candies)

Raspberry Boiled sweets.

Stewed Red Plums.

Red Plum jam

Red stone fruit and not black fruit.

Slight Conditioner smell like clean clothes out of a washing machine.

Generally, very mild on the nose

Semi-Sweet Blush wine cask wood.

Inside of an old wardrobe.

 

In the mouth

 

Blush / Zinfandel Wine.

Wine Gums

Cordial “Petel” drink.

Wobbly raspberries Jelly

No barley cereal notes whatsoever.

Had this been a blind taste, I would not have recognised this as a Malt Whisky at all.

Orange peel, mild fruity taste. Glazed cherries

Stewed raspberries.

Mixed Cordial Fruit drink in carton

Marzipan. Sweet candied almonds.

 

 

Further notes and Finish

 

Very watery and thin on the palette and finish (straight from the bottle).

There is no whisky body at all. No oil or creamy mouth feel.

It’s like someone has over watered it down to around 30% abv.

I’d say that I’d best describe this as a very light Aperitif; something to whet the appetite before a meal.  Come to think of it, perfect for a Kiddush that involves a light Seuda.

It’s full of summery light fresh Semi-Sweet and Delicate fruits.

Soft, no alcohol pungency at all and virtually no aftertaste except a remnant of a hint of summer flowers and fruit.

This is totally unlike any whisky I’ve ever tasted. In fact, I would not even have thought it was a whisky.

 

I imagine that some Americans would prepare this “On the Rocks”; so just for the fun of it, I tried adding an ice cube to a tumbler of this Fionain. What a disaster! It lost what little flavour it had and turned into a weak cordial drink. Instead of adding ice, might I recommend that you chill this Ben Eideann in the fridge before drinking.

 

Warning. There is a real danger of mistakenly saying Borei Peri HaGafen over this. The bracha, as far as I am aware, is still SheHaKol, despite its character.

 

Conclusion:

 

I should really hate this whisky.  As I have already said, it doesn’t even taste like Scotch whisky, let alone Single Malt where “Malt” and barley, here are the operating words. Where is the maltiness? Not even a hint of either barley sugar or biscuits…

 

But, the bottle is already half empty since I’ve constantly been pouring myself glasses - just to confirm how truly awful a Scotch Whisky it is - and giving it to loads of people for them to try, in order to mock it.

However, there is no denying that this is actually quite a pleasant drink. Not as Single Malt mind you, but as a really refreshing and tasty aperitif. Perfect for that hot summer Shabbos morning Kiddush after returning from tefilla.

 

As I earlier mentioned, I’d recommend putting it in the fridge for a few hours to drink chilled (and don’t try adding ice!) Because the Fionain is so mild and easy drinking, you may find that you’ve poured yourself a third glass of the stuff before you realise that it isn’t in fact a Blush Wine, but an actual spirit.

It is rather an interesting curiosity. A light sweet red fruity wine spirit, made in Scotland for the Orthodox Jewish Chareidi community and a genuine talking point. I might just go and get another bottle. Yer, you did read that right. The truth is, that I kind of like it. (I do hope Ralfy from Whisky YouTube channel "Ralfy.com" never reads this review. He’ll probably never speak to me again).

 

Addendum

 

Fun and Games with an Alcoholmeter

 

I mentioned earlier that I simply did not believe that this “whisky” was even at the minimum legal 40% abv alcohol level.

I decided to look for some instrument in order to measure the alcohol percentage myself! The question is, where in Yerushalayim could I find such a device?

After a bit of Googling, I went to a Home Brewing store in the centre, down Hillel Street.  I had a nice chat with the owner by the name of Leon, who told me that he has some young Single Malt in casks in his bar. It’s new-make-spirit from the Milk and Honey distillery, being matured in Ex-Ardbeg Bourbon barrels. Interesting indeed.

 


As opposed to a Hydrometer which measures alcohol in wine and beer, Leon sold me an Alcoholmeter which is used for measuring alcohol in spirits.  It's one of those analogue “bob up and down” ones that looks like a giant thermometer.



Anyway, simply fascinating results and a lot of fun.

I decided to start with something relatively high in alcohol.



Clynelish Game of Thrones. Stated 51.2% abv





It measured 53 to 54 on the scale.

Balblair 2005. Stated 46% abv






It measured 48 to 49 on the scale.

Clencadam 10. Stated 46% abv

It measured 47 to 48

I was beginning to see a pattern of approximately 2-3% higher than stated abv. Why this might be I do not know. Perhaps because the Alcoholmeter was resting slightly on its side and had it been totally upright, it would have read 2% lower?

Now we come to the Fionain…

Ben Eideann. Stated 40% abv




It measured 37.5 to 38.5 !!!!!

Please note that I thoroughly washed and then rinsed the flask out with soap and water and then waited for it to dry, between each whisky.

Results: Despite the other whiskies measuring between 2% and 3% higher than stated values, this Ben Eideann measured about 2% under the stated value. If we then adjust the value according to the other whiskies, we end up with an approximate abv value of 36%!!!

Before someone tries and sues me, I fully admit that I am not a chemist and could have measured this totally wrong, so take this experiment as simply a bit of harmless fun.


Update: I have a very good friend called Lawrence who just happens to be a brilliant physicist. After reading this review, he very kindly sent me an article which explains that the results from an Alcoholmeter are dependant upon the abv of the spirit AND the temperature in the room. I have to admit that the room was quite warm and this probably accounts for the +2% inaccuracy. Therefore, it seems that there was justification in taking off 2% from my guesstimate of the actual abv of the Ben Eideann. (Not to be taken seriously of course).

 


Comments

  1. At least you're enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I think you would really enjoy this. שבת שלום.

      Delete

Post a Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please enter your comment above this line, and then click on the PUBLISH button (on the far right hand side).