My Own Islay Malt Blend - Update



To read the original Blog Post, click HERE!

Wow, what a difference a few weeks make.

Even if I say so myself, this homemade Islay Malt Blend I concocted is absolutely delicious.

In the Glencairn glass it looks Incredibly oily.

Nosing

All of that heavy smelly barnyard smell I complained about in my initial review, has completely disappeared. Instead, there is a subtle silky peat wafting through from the background.

Light Fruity floral Perfume garden.
Peach Sherbet.
Dominant up front dry and fruity white wine. Sauvignon Blanc with tart, sparkly pineapple, kiwi, lychee fruit, peaches, green apples.
Very fruity indeed.
Aroma of fresh challah dough.
A slight muskiness that comes and goes.
A hint of curry powder and Indian Tonic water.

No alcohol nip whatsoever. Despite containing some really high abv whiskies, this whisky can be sniffed and enjoyed without water.

I’d describe this as a peaty version of a high-quality high alcohol Sauvignon Blanc. Perhaps a fine dry white Fino sherry?

Tasting Notes


The taste is a lot milder than one would imagine. This is a gentle dram indeed which you would not expect from a heavily peated Islay Blend!

Absolutely, unquestionably a big flavour-note of green sweet Kiwi juice. Also, Passion fruit.

Hint of Bitter Almonds like chewing on Apple pips.

Mineral like mountain seashore pebbles, loads of luscious green fruits with fresh Mint tea and kitchen wood spices on the finish.
https://food.ndtv.com/

Wow. This really is amazing stuff. I mean really remarkable. It is like no other whisky I have ever tasted.

I have never, to my memory, ever used tasting notes like Kiwi fruit.
I think I need to make some more of this Yummy stuff.


I decided to compare it with a similar product, namely Compass Box Peat Monster, which is also a heavily peated Malt Blend with malts from Islay, Islands and the Highlands.

Now, bear in mind that I gave this Malt Blend high praise when I reviewed it back in 2017.


My initial reaction was that “The Peat Monster” has a much harsher, in your face, peat punch than my Islay Malt Blend. This is surprising considering that I Have Octomore and Ardbeg in my whisky.

Despite the fact that on its own, The Compass Box is quite fruity, my Blend makes The Peat Monster seem thin and dry in comparison.

The Islay Blend is far more delicious, complex, multi-layered, interesting and “more-ish”.

What a startling difference since the week I blended these whiskies together. I would never have dreamed that the result would have been this good.

It really does show that it’s vitally important to give the vatting time to marry and integrate.

Welcome to the world of Malt Blending.
The problem is that I only have a drop left!

I wonder what type of blend I’m going to try next?

Comments