Review of The Galil Mountain Winery

Galil Mountain Winery is situated in the mountains of the Upper Galilee. In theory the soil there should be perfect for wine grapes. The winery is ambishasly growing many different types of grapes there and I suppose should be directly compared to its neighbour, The Golan Heights/Yarden winery. As I understand, the Golan Winery holds an interest in this winery and offers assistance and expertise when needed.








My experience of their wines over the past few years has been disappointing. Their Chardonnay from 2006 wasn't unpleasant; it was simply lacking those characteristics of a Chardonnay. I'm talking about the multilayers of creamy taste. The aftertaste was virtually non existent.






Last Shabbos we decided to give their Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 and Sauvignon Blanc 2007 a try, mainly due to the fact that they were on special offer at the supermarket.






I found the Cabernet Sauvignon lacking that characteristic heaviness of the tanning you expect from this wine. Cabernet Sauvignon can often have a bitter aftertaste if the winery has messed up but this had a pleasant light one. I think it shows promise and as a table wine it is quite pleasing. Its taste is just too light to be called a good Cabernet Sauvignon.






For Shabbos morning we opened the Sauvignon Blanc, cold straight from the fridge. Same story again. It was nice but lacking the character of a Sauvignon Blanc. Where was that sharpness? Where was the banana / pineapple tropical fruit taste? It was quite generic and anonymous in character.






Would I buy these again? Well yes, if they were cheap enough but I'm afraid they have a long way to go before they can start to compete with the big boys. I have every confidence that they will get there though, say in another few years. I look forward to that.

Comments